Tuesday, January 8, 2013

12/31/12: San Lihn Faailohk!

Hey Family!

I'm glad the gifts came so fast! Sorry to Josh and Connor and Will, whose gifts apparently broke in transit. I hope you all enjoyed/are enjoying the rest of your Christmas vacation!

This week was good! To be honest I can't remember most of what happened this week, but I know it was good! On Sunday we had 7 investigators at church! Record high! It was awesome. 6 of them were in Young Women's, so Young Women's was huge on Sunday. There was only one member YW there that week, so it was a good thing we had so many investigators come. We're really excited about our investigators, and hope we can help them continue to progress. We have one right now named Joey (girl, her name is Chan Jou Yi, so goes by Joey) who's 12 years old and so funny in the obnoxious 12-year-old kind of way. She acts all put out all the time about getting up for church, since she'll stay up till 4 or 5 in the morning on Saturday nights, but for some reason which we honestly don't really understand, really wants to be baptized. During Young Women's she heard the water filling up the font for another baptism, and so she asked Sister Cook what that sound was, so when Sister Cook told her it was for a baptism, she says "seungyiu," which means "Want." She's so funny. It's kind of nice because we can pester her and be obnoxious to her about gospel things because she's just as obnoxious to us, which makes us not have to worry about offending her, which is nice. There's also a 13-year-old boy investigator, Wilson, who the Elders are teaching right now but is always hanging out at the church and wanting to hang out with the missionaries, and he gave Sister Cook and I postcards the other day. Mine (written in Chinese, which I had someone read out loud for me) at some point said "I don't know if you can read this, you probably don't. If you can't read this, forget it." It was so his personality, of the obnoxious 13-year-old he is, but super adorable because he's writing us postcards and thanking us for helping him learn the gospel. Teaching young teenagers is always entertaining.

This week we visited Mui Mama and Baba, who are the first members of the church in Macau. They're probably in their 70s or 80s, and were so funny. Mui Mama was telling us this story about the power of prayer, and she says "We had this dog-- I loved that dog, he was a great dog! His name was A-Dog." Both Sister Cook and I burst out in giggles and were like "You named your dog A-dog??" And she says "His full name was Hot Dog, but he wouldn't respond to it, so we just called him A-Dog."  She then said "When I told this story to some previous missionaries, one elder said 'when I go back to America, I'm going to buy a dog and name him A-gau!'" (Gau is the Chinese word for dog.) It was even funnier because the exact same thought had just crossed my mind. It was even funnier hearing it in Cantonese with the random English "name" unexpectedly coming out. After visiting her we were like "We're going to visit her more often!" Haha.

Also, Daniel's getting scary giant,  I noticed in the picture Lynda sent me from Christmas.

Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment