This week has been really good! Jeng Jimuih's baptism is scheduled for Sunday, and we're so excited. She's seriously so golden. Apparently a typhoon is supposed to hit this weekend, so we're hoping that doesn't stop the baptism! Jeng Jimuih's daughter, Erica, is a member, and is super awesome. Sister Kiene and I have realized that now that we have a mission goal to teach more families, we've become addicted to teaching families. It's awesome. We had a surprise new investigator (Pauline) come last night with her recent convert daughter (Wincy) to her lesson with us, since she wanted to go to our English class after. We talked a little bit about the Plan of Salvation and that families can be together forever, and the Spirit was so strong. It's so neat-- sometimes when we're teaching lessons, I can physically feel the Spirit just resting there with us. It's amazing. We have another lesson with her next week. So at the beginning of the week we only knew of one part-member family we'd be teaching (Jeng Jimuih), but so far we've had 3 part or full families that we've taught! It's great! We also have had a ton of random referrals from members, investigators, and turnovers from other missionaries this week--it's been cool. Granted, some of them don't show up to their appointments. But it's still really cool!
We went to our other ward, Shum Shui Po this week, and they were great. They had me bear my testimony too, and after the meeting one of the members came up to me and said in a thick Chinese accent, "You pronounce Chinese so well! I predict by the end of your mission you will be reading all the characters!" I sincerely hope so. haha. Then I kept hearing things earlier in the week about how Shum Shui Po had a recently returned missionary who had gone to Scotland, and I was like "Oh I should talk to him! We might know some of the same people!" So I'm sitting in sacrament meeting on Sunday, and I look at the row behind us, only to see Elder Lee, who served in the Edinburgh Ward my first few months there, and helped teach baptize some of my friends, Emily and Songming. So even though I'm literally on the other side of the world, there are people here I know. Hahaha. Blew my mind.
Also, I was looking in the Shum Shui Po area book the other day, and I found Zoe, one of the "investigators" we taught in the MTC!! (Our teachers acted as real investigators they had on their missions.) Apparently she's inactive now. I was so excited-- I called her right then, but she didn't pick up. But it's so weird because I already feel like I know her when I haven't even met her. But she did pick up when I called on Monday, but apparently she was in the middle of something and couldn't talk, but I told her that I'm Jeung Jimuih's friend and that I want to meet her! I hope I get to!
Also, I feel like I've seen a lot of Chinese versions of people I know. The one that freaks me out the most is this little boy in one of our wards reminds me so much of Daniel when he was younger-- his mannerisms, the way he looks at people in an exasperated way, the way he has pieces of hair in the back that never lie flat. It's so weird. There's also a girl in the ward who's name I was convinced was Alice, but it's totally different, and then I realized that she reminds me of Alice Davis, Brent's wife, just Chinese. Haha. So weird.
Anyway, Hong Kong rocks. It hasn't been as hot as I expected it to be, and we're inside a lot of the day anyway, so it's good. It's really cool how there's the mix of city and jungle-y mountains, so I don't have to sacrifice the greenery for the cityscape! Best of both worlds!
We went to Victoria Peak last P-day and saw the city by night-- it was really pretty. But it was somewhat difficult to enjoy the view, because typhoon winds were coming in, so we had to focus really hard on keeping our skirts down. Hahaha. Sister Kiene has a great picture of us with our 2 other roommates, and all of our hair is blowing straight up. It was awesome. But I do have some awesome skyline photos. Maybe one time I'll actually remember to bring my camera cord so I can email some home. It was my first time on Hong Kong Island, and there were a few buildings there that I recognized, and one of the Elders told me one or two of the big cool buildings were used in the Batman movies. So that was pretty cool. Today we went to Monkey Mountain, which was so cool. We got off the bus, and there were 7 or so monkeys just chilling there at the bus stop, and across the street there were just swarms of them. Then we had to cross a bridge over the road, and there were monkeys just sitting all up on the railings everywhere. We were afraid it was going to turn into The Birds and that we were all just going to be attacked by swarms of monkeys, since we've heard they can be pretty aggressive. It was really fun though.
I'm also beginning to become a pro at chopsticks. Some days I do really well, other days I struggle, but it's cool because it's like all of a sudden I've been able to use them. Sweet!
We also taught a Baby English class this week for little kids and their parents, and they were SO CUTE. They were all just so happy and smiley and funny.
Also, is it weird that I really like finding? It's when I feel the most like a missionary. Maybe my thoughts on it will change after I've been here longer. I hope not though!
Sister Kiene and I are still getting along really great-- it's been a lot of fun. We have a similar sense of humor, so even if one of us gets frustrated or tired or whatever, we'll usually laugh it off within 5 or 10 minutes, and then forget about it. It's a good system.
Love you all!
Sister Heaton
No comments:
Post a Comment