Sunday, September 9, 2012

8/29/2012: Hey Family!

Jousahn!

This week has been good. Lots of ups and downs, but we're still having faith. The typhoon that was supposed to come on Sunday and maybe delay Jeng Jimuih's baptism stopped and turned around between here and Taiwan, so it never got to us! We definitely consider that a miracle, especially because she was so excited and so ready to be baptized. She's undergoing another round of chemotherapy this week, so we're keeping her in our prayers. She seems like she's been doing pretty well.

Because Jeng Jimuih got baptized, we are now very short on progressing investigators and new investigators, which means we've done a lot of finding this week. Our mission has been putting a big focus on families, so instead of doing street contacting, which is so inefficient, we've been compiling lists of part-member and less-active families to visit, since our goal is for more families to be able to be sealed in the temple. I called everyone on our probably incomplete less-active list the other night, and only had 3 people who didn't tell me no or hang up on me or whatever; one of the others the lady was asleep, so her son told me to call back later, and another was Japanese and I'm guessing didn't understand me very well. Mhganyiu! (means something along the lines of no matter/ it's not important/ it's fine, etc.) We will continue. Haha.

Pauline, who we taught last week and whose daughter Wincy is a recent convert, decided she wasn't interested, even though we KNOW she felt the Spirit when we taught her. That was disappointing. We did get to teach Tomoko's mom yesterday-- Tomoko is on of our recent converts. She's from mainland and has absolutely no religious background, so it was interesting to teach her. The only interest she really seemed to have was as far as it concerned her daughter, but we got her to agree to go to church with her on Sunday, so we hope she'll do that. I liked her a lot.

We also had one of the young couples in the ward invite us over for dinner on Sunday to teach one of their school friends, who was really cool. But Heidi (the wife) made us American food because she knew we must miss it-- it was so good! She made a lasagna, and it was in that moment that I realized how much I miss ground beef. Haha.

On Monday the Cheung Sha Wan ward mission leader and bishop's families took us out for dinner-- it was cool, and pretty tasty. I tried jellyfish, which actually tasted pretty good, but the texture was weird. I also ate from a chicken that still had its head, which was a bit unsettling. Looking at the menu, I was afraid Poon Hingdaih (the ward mission leader) would order for me fish-head soup for kicks, which literally just looked like soup with a fish head sticking out of it. Luckily, he was nice to me and didn't do that.

Last week after sending emails we went to Mong Kok, the huge street market in Hong Kong. It was cool, and stuff there was super cheap, and speaking Cantonese is definitely useful for haggling purposes. We had these desserts called something like ga je beng (I'm 99% positive that's totally spelled wrong), which basically was peanut butter, melted butter, sugar, and sweetened condensed milk mixed together and put inside of a folded waffle. So obviously it was amazing. All the things I love rolled into one. Haha.

Then today our zone got to go to the temple! The Hong Kong Temple is gorgeous inside. Since it's newer and kind of has that streamlined Asian look, everything felt really clean and really white-- it was neat. We went to an English session, though some of the workers were speaking in Cantonese, so I had to infer what they were saying. I actually could understand a lot of what they would say, until they got to more detailed words, and then I had no idea what was going on. Mhganyiu!

Love you all! Give referrals to the missionaries! For realz though, since they're easily the best investigators, and the members are supposed to help way more with missionary work than I think most of them realize.

Sister Heaton

No comments:

Post a Comment