Sunday, December 9, 2012

10/11/2012: Leih yauh mouh fo??!

Leihdeih hou! Dim a?

First off, can I just freak out a bit for the millionth time this week about the changes in missionary ages? SO AWESOME!! One of our Ward Mission Leaders stayed up Saturday night to watch the first session of conference in English, and told us the next morning, so we knew before most of the other missionaries and ward members here-- it was super fun to be able to tell them. Has anyone started their mission papers yet from our ward? Has Shelley? SO. COOL. It'll be super weird at BYU b/c there'll be a ton of RMs at the ages of 20 and 21 and barely any freshmen. And the "wait for me" culture will be gone! Yes! I would've liked to go when I was 19! There are going to be so many missionaries now! And I could totally train 19 year old sisters! Mind. blown. So cool. We'll be watching General Conference this weekend in English, and my companion and I have been so excited all week. It's almost been kind of a distraction from our missionary work like thinking about home or girl/boyfriends would be for other missionaries-- it's super weird but kind of funny. At least it's quite a worthy distraction, and it's helped us get our investigators pumped about coming. And a lot of our investigators are going! Yay!

Anyway, this week was good! Lots of interesting stuff.

First off, I went to my first dim sum last week, and I ate a chicken foot and cow stomach! Both were surprisingly good, although the cow stomach was kind of a weird texture. I guess if you have good sauce, you can make anything taste good.

2) Sister Kiene and I got stuck in an elevator with one of our less-actives, Vivien, for about a half hour on Tuesday. We were in her apartment building and she was walking us out. We're glad she was with us, since she knew who to call and how to take care of the problem, and we got to know her better. It was kind of fun. Everytime we visit Vivien it feels like we're in a movie, since her apartment is super nice and chic and she's this gorgeous 20-something who works as a personal assistant for some big businessman down in Central, which seemed to movie-esque of a life to be real, so on top of getting stuck in an elevator with her, it's really feeling that way. Haha.

3) I saw that Aunt Lorie has a picture in the Ensign this month! It was kind of a tender mercy that we even saw it, since we usually only have the Liahona, but Sister Kiene was flipping through the office's copy of the Ensign, saw the picture on the inside back cover, and she says, "Hey, this lady's middle name is Heaton! and her last name is Burningham!" (since one of our roommate's last names is Burningham) and I was like "What?! What's her first name?" Way to represent, Aunt Lorie!

4) I discovered that Mom did actually cover part of the area that I cover, in Tze Wan Shan and Shek Kip Mei! I found one of your converts on our ward directory, but it was the same address as 30 years ago and the phone didn't work, so I don't know if he still actually lives there. We'll hopefully stop by his apartment to see when we're in that area meeting less-active members. I also discovered some of the men in our ward served around the same time as Mom, so they asked me to bring a picture, and they said they remember you! You served under President Armstrong, right? Yuen, Yip, and Jeung Hingdaih were the ones who told me they served in '82. Do any of those sound familiar? I'll hopefully take a picture with them soon and send it home for you to examine, Mom. Yip Hingdaih seemed like he recognized you the best, and Yuen Hingdaih's going to show me an old mission picture next time I see him. Also, one of your converts, Charles Au Tai On, apparently now serves as a Bishop on the Island. I'm curious, Mom, what was your bundei Elder friend's name? I want to know who it is if I ever happen to run into him!

5) We were pleasantly surprised this week to find out that all of our investigators are keeping their commitments, even the ones who struggled with it before! Yay! One of our investigators, Lau Jimuih, just loves us so much-- before we went to her house she went out and bought us egg tarts, sandwiches, and pretty Chinese coin purses. We asked her if she were willing to get baptized once she knows the Book of Mormon is true, and she said yes with absolutely no hesitations--she said "I want it to be true!" So great!! Granted, we're pretty sure she doesn't understand that baptism requires keeping some commandments she currently isn't keeping, like keeping the Sabbath Day Holy, but I hope her motivation and the Spirit push her to make those changes. She's really felt the power of the peace the Spirit brings, and she just really wants to feel that. The gospel is awesome!

6) President Hawks has made some changes in mission rules, which I actually think are all really good changes, but that includes a change in P-day to Mondays! October 22 will be our first Monday P-day. I'm glad it's being moved to Monday because Monday is always our slowest day, and having Thursday P-day always puts our weekly planning on Friday, which is a terrible day for it because it's one of our best lesson days, so we end up having to do it in awkward installments over 3 or so days.

7) Lastly, today was our temple day, and the woman I did the endowment for today was born in 412 AD. 412!!! SO COOL!! I love Chinese record-keeping! Also, she had the same name as one of our recent converts who we teach every week, Lai Si. So that was fun.

So yeah, this week was pretty great. I hope everything is going well at home! The gospel is true! The gospel shouldn't be a part of our lives, it should BE our lives. That's probably one of the biggest lessons I'm learning on my mission. We've got to give and sacrifice our all, and be the Lord's servants here on the earth to help build the kingdom of God. Remember, members are just as important to missionary work as missionaries are!

Love you!
Sister Heaton

No comments:

Post a Comment